Each of the following attributes is very important for employment success. Adults with ADHD have a strong tendency to walk through life with a more intense perspective. This intensity also applies to these “workplace success attributes.”
1 & 2) Interest and Enjoyment – These two attributes very much go “hand in hand” in the adult ADHDer. The time-honored saying of “do what you love and never work a day in your life” is intensified with an ADHD adult. Assignments and duties low on the scale of interest and enjoyment will probably lead to “inconsistent and sporadic” performance in these particular individuals.
3) Urgency – A large percentage of the adult ADHD population has a short-term increase in focus and concentration during an adrenaline rush. This is a partial explanation for the significant number of these individuals employed in emergency situations (i.e. EMS, Hospital Emergency Departments).
4) Structure – There is no such thing as a garden variety adult ADHDer. The opposite side of the attribute coin from urgency is structure. These ADHDers prefer clear cut instructions and assignments.
5) Fast Pace – Some ADHDers have “race car” brains (continuous proliferation of thoughts). These folks need to develop strategies to “harness” this energy toward a “definite” goal. These individuals have a strong propensity to be very creative.
6) Hands-On and Creativity – These folks could also be referred to as the “producers” of the world. They are most content and engaged when they see the “finished product” their hands have created.
7) Entrepreneurship – This subset of adult ADHDers are bigger risk takers and think they have stronger intuition than their counterparts. These folks typically need assistance with planning, organizing, and follow through.
After reading this article, it becomes apparent that ADHDers are just as talented as the rest of the population. The consistent challenge is the initiation of a task, sustainability to move forward, and follow through to the completion of the task. A team of well trained ADHD Professionals can significantly enhance success in various areas of life.